Thursday, October 14, 2010

4. Your sibling(s)

Dear you two,

I know I should probably write something really corny about how much I love you here, and how you've made me who I am. It's what everyone else has done.

And I guess you have made me who I am. But right now, in all honesty, what I feel towards you is a sort of protective indifference. In order to make this fair, I'm going to order it randomly. Out of the two of you. Whatever.

You:

We babied you. In a way, it's probably all of our faults you ended up the way you are now. But honestly, how much of it was nurture and how much of it was nature? I can't even tell anymore. The temper tantrums you throw are insufferable. The way you drive everyone crazy is infuriating. I don't want anyone to hurt you, least of all me, but we need you to grow up now. It's time to come into the adult world, and stop living in a world of playthings.

You x2:

I don't understand you. I probably never will. He got it right when he said we could call you me too, you know. And at first, it was endearing. To know that someone was looking up to me, that making the right decisions wasn't in vain, because someone (you) was going to be watching my every move and making decisions based on my own. But that's just it. Based on my own. Not doing everything I did. And while I hate that I became this sort of idol for you, that I can't have a minute to myself to breathe, I'm beginning to hate the decisions you make for yourself, as well. I told you a while ago some of the story behind my brief brush with psychopathy. (Not my own, of course - we all know I'm too distanced from myself to be able to admit any type of feeling.) And hun, you are going way beyond anything I'd ever known before. Just... enough with the drama. Stop saying you hate it when you create it. Stop attaching yourself to people who are going nowhere in life. And by all means, stop manipulating everyone around you. It's a surefire way to get yourself seventeen cats that you barely clean up after and a cell phone that never rings.

- me

No comments:

Post a Comment