Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 2 - Your crush

Dear you,

First off, let me say I hope I meet you soon, because crushing on a figment of my imagination is not doing wonders for my sanity. Neither is your ever-changing appearance, in case you were wondering.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let's move on. I hope this letter finds you well, and my other brain-figments aren't giving you too much of a hard time. [Because let's face it - they're my brain-figments, there's no way they aren't giving you any trouble.] They're just going to have to get used to you, though, because I don't think you're going away any time soon.

Let's now move on to the things I like about you, the things that make you "crush worthy." I could probably go on for hours and millions of numbers, and I'm sure you'd like that, because what guy doesn't like to have his ego stroked, but I'll limit myself to your top ten.


  1. Your accent. We all know I have a fetish for them, but your all-American southern Alabama accent just takes the apple pie.
  2. Your hair, in particular the scruff around your face, though the "a little longer and it'll be shaggy" golden brown hair atop your head ain't hurting, either.
  3. Is it bad to say your size? Because honey, I absolutely adore the fact that you're a foot taller than me and you can pick me up like I was a down comforter. 
  4. The way you protect me. I may be one of the biggest feminists you will ever meet, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't feel good to have your glances harden and your hand take mine every time some skeezeball looks for a second too long.
  5. I'd also be lying if I said I didn't swoon each time you picked up a guitar. I know it's cliche, but hey - it's definitely working for you.
  6. The way you make me feel like I am the only one who merits your attention, the only thing in the room that's happening worth any sort of focus. I feel like the world could be ending while I'm telling you some stupid story about what happened to me, and you wouldn't even notice. Gotta love a guy who pays attention.
  7. The fact that you actually pay attention to your surroundings. I know that totally contradicts what I just said, but I mean it in a different way. You read the paper. You read books - god, I can't tell you how hard it is to find an attractive guy who actually reads books. Believe me - I've tried. 
  8. Your humor, and the fact that you actually get mine. 
  9. The fact that being with you doesn't come with any drama attached at the hip. 
  10. Everything about you. Yeah, I know it's stupid, but hey, it's true. 
Is it too weird to say that I've already pictured how we'll meet, and what our first date will be like? If you were pondering it, this is how it'll play out.

You'll come into the store, and I'll have my eye on you, because I think you're cute. You'll be eyeing me a bit, too, and we'll occasionally make eye contact, and when we do, I'll look down and smile, embarrassed to be caught ogling the customers. You'll wait a good five minutes or so before coming over to the counter and asking me for some good recommendations. I'll smile with my entire face, and bounce along the wall of books, pointing out the ones I like, and the ones I think you'll like. I'll be overly flirty, but you won't care, because you find it kind of endearing. You'll thank me, and go sit down with the pile of books I just handed you, trying to make your decision. In the end, you'll choose two: the John Green book I absolutely raved about, and the Jonathan Tropper book from downstairs that I told you you had to read, as well. You'll come back upstairs to my register under the guise of making sure that the book you picked up was the right one, and we'll start talking again. You'll ask me about my favorite authors, and I'll tell you that I can't pick just one. You'll tell me that you feel the same way, and somehow, because it always does with me, we'll get to the subject of Harry Potter. I'll tell you about A Very Potter Musical, which won't sound as interesting as it should to you, but you'll say you'll go home and watch it anyway. I'll grin when you say that you will, and tell you that you'll have to come back in and tell me what you thought. You'll nod, and say that you don't know when you'll be able to make it back in though, because you've just moved here, and you have to help your family settle in. The act of kindness towards your family will make me swoon a little bit, and I'll offer to show you, and even your family, around the island if you want. You'll nod again and say that that would be great, and I'll scribble my number down on the back of your receipt.

A few days later, my phone will ring, and it'll be you. School is starting in a few days, you'll say, and I'll have to be going back off to college. It's my freshman year, you see. I'll understand, and say that that's too bad, and that I wish you could stay longer, but what is the point of this call if you're leaving soon? You'll be silent for a few seconds, and I'll worry that I was being too forward, but eventually you'll chuckle and say that I caught you, that you were calling to ask me out to dinner if it wouldn't be too much of a bother.

I, of course, will accept, and bring you to my favorite restaurant, where we'll talk about everything. You'll admit to not having watched the youtube sensation I told you to yet, and I'll tease you relentlessly throughout the entire meal. At the end of the night, you'll drive me home, and you'll grab my hand as soon as you start the car. You'll walk me up to my doorstep, and say that you had a really amazing time tonight, and that we need to do it again soon. I'll agree, and you'll kiss me softly on the lips before turning and leaving, and we'll all live happily ever after.

The end.

Now doesn't that just sound like perfection? So let's work on making this dream a reality, shall we?

Love,
me

No comments:

Post a Comment